Jamaica Summer Vacation Spots that won’t break the bank
Summer is just around the corner and now is the perfect time to figure out where you want to take the family for that spectacular vacation and stay within your budget. One tested and proven destination that offers some amazing options for your summer vacation is Jamaica.
We will examine some of the best spots to vacation in Jamaica in the summer months, highlight airfare cost from some major United States gateways, speak to some affordable options for accommodation and outline some exciting activities that will make your summer vacation a memorable one!
Best spots to vacation
Several places within destination Jamaica will prove ideal for your summer vacation. Depending on the type of holiday that you seek.
If you want an action-packed vacation in an area where there several activities just a few minutes away; Ocho Rios, Montego Bay, and Negril are excellent choices for you.
On the other hand, if you would rather a more laidback area where you can just relax and rejuvenate with no care in the world; Runaway Bay, Discovery Bay, Portland and the South Coast will be ideally suited for you.
Regardless of where you are staying, a trip to Kingston would be great if you grave some of the best cultural and entertainment experiences available on the Island! By and large, you can choose a vacation spot most suitable to your specific needs and take trips to other parts of the Island for a complete vacation experience. After all, traveling from one end of the Island to the next only takes a few hours!
It is not too early to book your flights for your summer vacation!
Now is the best time to book your flights to take advantage of early booking special deals for summer. I did some checks to see what the best flight prices are currently for the week of July 3 -10 from some major United States gateways to Jamaica and I found some great prices that you should take advantage of.
JFK (New York) to MBJ (Montego Bay) – round trip cost of $497 per person on Jet Blue with a one stop in Orlando.
ATL (Atlanta) to MBJ (Montego Bay) – round trip cost of $443 with a one stop in Orlando on Jet Blue.
FLL (Fort Lauderdale) to MBJ (Montego Bay) – round trip cost of $300 nonstop on Caribbean Airlines
CLT (Charlotte) to MBJ (Montego Bay) – round trip cost of $697, one stop in Newark on United Airlines.
DFW (Dallas Fort Worth) to MBJ (Montego Bay) – round trip cost of $543 on Spirit Airlines with a one-stop in Fort Lauderdale.
Accommodations – where to stay for your summer vacation
If you are a discerning traveler seeking the best bang for your buck and for the flexibility to holiday at your own pace we recommend a Vacation Rental or Villa. See below price ranges and the benefits of booking a Villa as opposed to an all-inclusive resort.
Vacation Rental price range
Vacation Rentals are always more competitively priced than all-inclusive resorts.
I looked at some pricing for Vacation rentals for the week July 03 -10, 2018 in Jamaica and found that prices range from $500 – 800 per person for the entire week, you should also factor in a 10% gratuity for the staff which is additional.
Groceries for the week for a family or small group of ten will cost approximately $700. This will work out to less than 1000 dollars per person in a stunning vacation home or villa with your own staff at your beckon call.
It does not get much better than this! In comparison, the average price for an all-inclusive resort for the same period is $205 per person per night, which will be $1400 for the week. You would also be required to pay an additional fee ranging from $40 to $60 per night for children that fall between the ages of 6 and 14. You will easily save $600 per person if you choose a vacation rental as opposed to an all-inclusive resort!
Additional Benefits of a Vacation Home
A vacation home as mentioned earlier will save you a fair amount of money for your summer vacation than booking a resort.
Also, a Villa or vacation home is more suited for large groups who want to be close together, staying at a resort does not guarantee this since rooms are distributed based on availability.
So, if being close to your friends and family to ensure that no one misses out on fun group activities is important to you, you should definitely book a vacation home!
Your vacation home will also provide you with the ultimate privacy, giving you that homely feeling that is next to impossible in a resort that has so many people and so much going on!
Most resorts advertise that you can leave your wallet at home, if you do, you might not be able to enjoy some water sports activities, spa services, and excursions since there is an additional cost for these activities. Please be aware of this when making your reservation at an all-inclusive resort.
Best Activities for your Jamaica Summer vacation
One of the main reasons why you came to Jamaica for your summer vacation is due to many exciting activities available to you and your family! Here are some activities that you should not miss for your summer vacation;
1. A visit to Dunn’s River Falls – This amazing waterfall is a relaxing escape on the Island of Jamaica, the fun part of visiting here is climbing the famous falls while enjoying the effect of the cascading waterfalls on your body! There is also a new fun adventure at Dunn’s River Falls called the Dunn’s River Falls Flyer, you get 10% off this adventure if you stay at the beautiful Villa Serenity in Ocho Rios.
2. Zipline through a natural Rainforest – there is no better time to be out enjoying an exhilarating ride through an unspoiled rainforest than in the summer. Mystic Mountain in Ocho Rios offers this thrilling adventure that will get your adrenaline flowing!
3. Swimming with Dolphins – there is no better place to swim with Dolphins than in the warm waters of the Caribbean Sea. The friendly Dolphins at Dolphin Cove in Ocho Rios will ensure that you have a blast! They do not mind if you touch them or swim right next to them! This is surely an activity that you will enjoy on your summer trip to Jamaica.
4. Learning the history of reggae music – a big part of the Jamaican culture is its music. Reggae music is known worldwide mainly because of the influence of the great Bob Marley. You can learn about his life and also sing along to some of his most influential songs when you visit the Bob Marley Museum in Kingston. It is a cultural experience not to miss!
5. Visiting the historical Green Grotto Caves – this cave is etched in Jamaican history, and a visit to this unique attraction will show you why. It is a series of underground limestone caves that provided a haven for the Spanish when the English invaded Jamaica in the 1700th century and has also been the hiding place for many a slave the years of slavery on the Island. The Green Grotto Caves also has the highest concentration of Bat species anywhere in Jamaica. You should visit this attraction for the allure and also to learn a thing or two about the history of Jamaica!
Finally, a summer vacation to Jamaica will provide you with all that you are looking for – from competitive flight prices, varied accommodation options to exciting attractions! Whether you are traveling with your family, a group of friends or just by yourself, Jamaica has something for you at the right price. So, go ahead and book your summer vacation to Jamaica before the rush!