Many people who visit Jamaica choose to stay at all-inclusive resorts and never leave the property, and while this might make for a simple vacation, it does mean that there are many hidden spots on the island waiting to be discovered by adventurous vacationers. Skipping the resort experience can allow you to enjoy memorable off the beaten path experiences near Ocho Rios, and we’ve put together a list of the top five activities that you can enjoy while beating the tourist crowds.
1. Cave Valley – Situated in an area replete with limestone caves, the settlement of Cave Valley waits to be discovered. This small village has a bustling market area and four restaurants where you can sample local cuisine. Travel outside the village, and you can hike to Noisy Water River or Rat Bat Hole to watch birds and enjoy the beautiful natural wonders of the area.
2. Flower Forest and River Head Adventure Trail – If you love to hike, you are sure to love exploring the more than 130 acres of rainforest and 40 acres of gardens at the Flower Forest and River Head Adventure Trail. Here, you can discover the source of the Little River, get up close to some native species of birds and see beautiful exotic flowers and plants both in the wild and in perfectly manicured beds.
3. Chukka Caribbean Adventure’s Zion Bus – Climb aboard Chukka Caribbean Adventure’s Zion Bus and spend the day learning about the history of reggae music. This bus tour lasts for 5 hours and will let you tour Bob Marley’s birthplace and see his grave. You’ll listen to reggae music throughout the day and be treated to complimentary cocktails and refreshments as well as a traditional Jamaican lunch.
4. Green Castle Estate – Green Castle Estate allows you to learn more about the history of Jamaica and its ecology. Here, you can take a tour of a historic plantation, stroll through gardens or hike through gorgeous landscapes. There is also a coastal area waiting to be discovered. To make your day truly memorable, you can call ahead and have a seaside meal prepared for your enjoyment during your visit.
5. White River Tubing – Kids aged 6 and up and adults can have a splashingly good time enjoying tubing on the White River. Several tour providers offer day excursions to the river that also include visits to natural landmarks and historic and cultural sites.
At Jamaica Ocean View Villa, our number one priority is to help you have a memorable vacation in Jamaica. We will be glad to help you plan a trip to any of these off the beaten path Ocho Rios attractions. For more information about staying at our Ocho Rios villa, contact us or browse our website for more details. You can even book your Ocho Rios vacation getaway right on our site for your convenience.